A History of Power Boat
on Lake Winnipesaukee
1920's and the 1926 Irwin Cup
the mid 1920’s, a few boating enthusiasts decided to generate some excitement
on Lake Winnipesaukee by establishing a Winnipesaukee speed boat championship.
Boaters, of course, had been racing each other since their boats had been
traveling around the lake but most races had been impromptu and poorly
documented. The history of boat racing in the early 20’s is still under
research, but for now, our story starts in June of 1926 when a local
businessman, James R. Irwin of the Weirs, donated a prize cup to be awarded at
the end of the boating season. This beautiful silver cup stood two and a half
feet high and had at its base, a motor boat in action. The prize, called the
Irwin cup, would be awarded to the fastest boat that completed six, 2 ½ mile
laps over a triangular course. Points were awarded to all entrants with a
maximum of 200 points awarded for 1st place. At the end of the
season, the owner with the greatest number of points would be awarded the cup.
Further, if any owner could win a series of races three times over the summer,
he would be able to keep the cup permanently. The races were scheduled to be run
at Weirs Bay three times every two weeks starting on the July 4th
weekend, but were extended to include a forth race that was scheduled to be run
over the Labor Day holidays.
difficult to imagine today, the lakes region of the mid 1920’s was a fairly
isolated area. New Hampshire’s total population in 1920 was 440,000 with only
36,000 recorded in both Carroll & Belknap Counties. Travel in and out of the
area was primarily by train as most roads were simple one or two lanes and
unimproved. Travel during the winter months was very difficult and attempted
only by the hearty. Only the western portion of the lake, specifically Weirs,
Lakeport, Laconia, and Alton Bay, had any sort of substantial buildup. The
eastern shore of the lake, from Meredith clockwise around to Alton, had no
connecting paved road. Travel around the east side of the lake was accomplished
over rough dirt roads. Rail service was available into Wolfeboro, but was both
slow and laborious, requiring layovers and train changes. People who lived in
Concord, Manchester or Nashua had no direct route they could take to the eastern
shore of Lake Winnipesaukee and instead were required to take the railroad east
to Rochester or even Portsmouth before they could head north into Wolfeboro.
Route #28 from Alton to Wolfeboro wouldn’t be paved until late 1929. The boat
race organizers were hoping the scheduled races would draw people into the
region but knew great efforts would have to be made to insure easy travel in and
out of the area.
help people attend the Weirs races, Irwin, along with city officials and other
local businessmen, worked closely with the local Boston & Maine railroad
executives to finalize plans for advancing their mutual interests. Funds were
raised for a series of band concerts that were given every Sunday through Labor
Day. Music hours were scheduled from 2-3 and 4-5 in the afternoon. The band that
regularly performed was the 387th Infantry Band stationed in Laconia
and other plans were put in place to help provide amusements for the expected
crowds. Railroad officials scheduled special excursion trains that left Boston
at 8 o’clock and ended up at the Weirs at 11:20. The trains came to the Weirs
not only from Boston, but also Lynn and Lowell, as well as southern NH. Local
hotels scheduled special meals to coincide with the arrival of all
started arriving at the Weirs before the holiday weekend to enjoy an extended
time in the lakes region, many courtesy of the special Boston & Maine RR
service. By Saturday afternoon, hotels, camping grounds and boarding houses were
all full to capacity with weekenders and other vacationers. Monday, 5 July,
started early at the Winnipesaukee Gardens for the thousands of spectators that
packed the Weirs. The Infantry band was busy entertaining the crowds that were
estimated at over 6,000 strong and the race judges were setting up their
official barge. By 10:00, the last of the speed trials were held and all
handicaps were set. Spectators arrived by land, and by boat. Every type of craft
from canoes to cruisers were milling about the Weirs to witness the
afternoon’s racing program. At 1:00 in the afternoon, the steamer Mt.
Washington left the Weirs and a few hours later, the afternoon’s racing events
began in earnest. The first race was an outboard motor race that started sharply
at 3:30. The second race was a semi-speedboat event, with older boats that raced
between 15-30 mph. The third race was for the Irwin cup, and was the crowning
event of the afternoon. Boats were expected to reach up to 55 mph and
represented some of the fastest on any lake in New England. This third and final
race began at 4:22 in the afternoon and the starter’s flag was dropped by the
Mayor of Laconia, the Honorable George Stevens.
four contestants made it for this final race, the fifth scheduled contestant was
Sam Dunsford who had already entered one of his other boats,
Babs II, driven by a friend. Dunsford was
saving himself to drive his new racing boat,
IV, which was delivered to the Weirs earlier in the morning. Dunsford had
been racing on the water for a number of years and with the growing success of
his business supplying the burgeoning automobile industry with electrical parts,
was in a position to spend serious money on his favorite hobby.
Rainbow IV was a perfect ‘step up’. Built in 1924, she had a
most distinguished, if controversial, racing career, having won the 1924 Gold
Cup race, only to be disqualified by the APBA. The Gold Cup races were seen as
among the greatest of all international powerboat racing events and the chance
to buy a racer like this, one designed by the noted designer George Crouch, must
have been irresistible. As a racer,
Rainbow IV held numerous records, including
a 24 hour speed record set in October the previous year, in Canada, while
powered by a Liberty V-12. Dunsford bought
from Harry Greening and had a Packard Gold Cup engine installed. To Dunsford’s
considerable dismay, she could not be readied in time for the inaugural Irwin
race started well, with all four contestants close together but after six laps
around the triangular course, twenty eight minutes after the start,
III, a Chris-Craft driven by owner Robert Peterson, crossed the finish
line and carried away the honors.
Wildcat, a Ditchburn designed and built boat
driven by Glenroy Scott came in second and
II, Dunsford’s Chris-Craft driven by Arthur Smith, came in third. The
forth boat, Jean L driven by Frank Lane was forced to withdraw on the second
lap due to a broken rudder. The head race official was Jim Irwin and his
daughter Eleanor presented a metal shield to Robert Peterson signifying the win.
second race in the series was held two weeks later on July 18th,
again at Weirs Bay, on a triangular course laid out by Jim Irwin and Sam
Dunsford. Dunsford’s mechanic, Elmer Folsom, had worked around the clock over
the previous two weeks while located on Dunsford’s estate on Tuftonboro Neck.
By race time, Folsom had
Rainbow IV’s Packard engine ready and the crowd was very excited.
Rainbow IV’s reputation as a fast, record holding boat was well
publicized and known. Her running style was also very distinctive as her surface
piercing propeller threw up a spray almost 20 feet in the air when she was at
speed. When Dunsford, accompanied by his trusty mechanic Folsom, finally rounded
Governor’s Island a few minutes before the races were to begin and came in
full view of the assembled throng, there was much cheering and horn blowing. She
was clearly the favorite. However, there were a number of competitors who took
up the challenge including the first race winner, Robert Peterson in
RIP III. Also racing were
Babs II. The crowds were again estimated at
over 6,000 people on land and over 100 craft of all sizes were surrounding the
edges of the bay.
Rainbow IV did not disappoint as she easily
won the race with an average speed of 50 mph. Dunsford and Folsom were given a
Jean L and
were second and third respectively. Both
Babs II and
were disqualified as they ran faster in the race than in the trials.
Sunday, August 1st, the third series of races were held, again in
Weirs Bay around the same type of triangular course the previous two races were
held. Many new boats from Alton and Wolfeboro joined in the competition. The
races were open to all and the attention paid to the whole event combined with a
strong marketing effort helped push the Irwin cup starting field to 11 strong.
Flyers were distributed to all the local towns and anyone who owned a boat was
heartily encouraged to show their support for the lakes region. Reading through
the literature of the time, boat owners were encouraged to support the local
area, and were clearly told they had it in their power to make the event a time
to remember. The race winner was
Nilly driven by Eben Parsons from Alton Bay.
Rainbow IV came in second with
Wildcat in third.
in fourth driven by Carl Cram, also from Alton Bay. Thousands of spectators
lined the shore with hundreds boats and crafts lining the sides of the bay.
three races of tight competition, the standings were very close. None of the
boats won more than once and each of the three leading contestants had enough
points to win the cup if they could win the last race. The point standings were:
last race of the series was run on Sunday, 12 September. As before, the race was
held in Weirs Bay. A full starting lineup of race boats was on display ready for
the race. Although postponed for a week, there was no fall-off in attendance.
The Boston & Maine RR came through again by assisting thousands of fans who
dotted the shore. Hundreds of others attended in their own boats in the
spectator fleet. 23 minutes and 27 seconds after the start, Sam Dunsford,
driving his Rainbow
IV, won in a convincing fashion. He picked up 200 more points giving him
a total of 550 points for the racing season and won the beautiful Irwin cup.
RIP III took second place with
the racing season over, all participants agreed the season was very successful
and plans were made to expand the racing in future years. Local media and
businesses were complimentary in the way the boat racing generated interest in
the whole area and helped to attract vacationers into the lakes region. All
agreed the races provided the largest attraction around the lake and were easily
the fastest in the New England area. The racers agreed amongst themselves they
should plan for a more extensive series of speed boat races. This necessitated
forming a boat association that could formally sponsor the racing events.
Membership would be open to anyone in the lakes region and application blanks
were handed out to all who expressed an interest.
formal association would provide structure and organization to the regions
racing events. It was hoped it would not only make it easier to plan the racing
regattas, but could also represent Lake Winnipesaukee in other competitions
outside the region. Looking towards the future, this was a critical factor. For,
in the minds of all the racers, it was known the Gold Cup racing committee
dictated competitors could not enter as an individual, but must be sponsored by
an association. In June 1927, the Winnipesaukee Power Boat Association (WPBA)
was born, complete with a meeting place, the Oakbirch Inn in Alton Bay and its
own burgee. Key members of the Winnipesaukee boat racing community were selected
to lead the club. Jim Irwin was elected as Secretary and Nathaniel Goodhue, from
Wolfeboro, was elected as Treasurer. Heading the club and entire Winnipesaukee
racing effort, and granted the title of ‘Commodore’, was a wealthy
industrialist from Concord, Samuel Dunsford.
for the next Chapter - 1927
For locals, please join our:
Saturday Morning Gatherings
Monthly Fun Run &
Florida Vintage Race Boat Circuit
Some related vintage race
Return to Our Beloved Vintage Wooden Boats
to Home Page - Vintage Race Boat Shop